Saturday, January 19, 2019

Process of Falling Asleep

Article contributed by Sophie Liu


A few months ago there was a night when I couldn't fall asleep. Even though this never happened again, I think this is a great example of my journey to successfully falling asleep. This happened a few months ago, when I had less homework to do. So, one day, I (finally) managed to be on bed earlier, at around 10:00 p.m. And I decided to fall asleep before 10:30, in thirty minutes. That, is earlier than my usual sleeping time.

At ten o’ clock, I am in bed with lights off. I squeezed my eyes shut hoping this will help my fall asleep. But my mind started wondering around, I flew out of my house, into the deep night sky… squeak! My bedroom door opened, it was a really loud sound to me at that time. My eyes flashed open, and I stared at the open door into the darkness behind them. “Mom?” I whispered. No answer. “Mom?” I said, this time louder. Still no answer. Okay then. That made me wake up completely. Did I just fall asleep, or almost fall asleep? Well, now I am absolutely awake. I check my kitty clock, it shines 10:15. Oh no! I have 15 minutes left. Again, I squeezed my eyes shut hoping my mind will go blank again this time. But it didn’t. I forced it to float out of the house and into the night sky, but it kept flashing back on stuff like potatoes, or math tests. I tried to force them out of my mind, but they kept coming back like endless flies. Then I thought of a bug killer… If, only if I have a bug killer for mind… I felt my eyes open involuntary and focused on my clock. 10:25 Great! Five more minutes. I lay there, staring at the ceiling. I. Want. To. Sleep!!!!! Closed my eyes, swear that I am not going to open them unless it’s tomorrow.  

I started counting sheep, my least favorite idea. That for some reason actually worked! The next thing I knew was sunlight shining on my face. Well I’d count that as a success. But did I fall asleep? If so, when? I hope I can fall asleep easier.




4 comments:

  1. Haha. Very funny and unique writing. The details really describes how you feel and what you are thinking. Great use of thought shots as well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Really funny. Nice desriptive words Sophie

    ReplyDelete
  3. very interesting writing

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like that you used a lot of description, and your punctuation was also very good.

    ReplyDelete